Primary & Secondary Education
The County of Bruce has an exceptional education system, consisting of the Bruce County Board of Education which is responsible for the public schools and the Bruce-Grey Roman Catholic Separate School Board of Education which is responsible for the separate schools.
The Bruce County Board of Education
- operates 25 elementary schools, six secondary schools and two outdoor education centres in Bruce County.
- has a yearly student enrollment of 10,600 pupils.
- offers Co-operative Educational Programs for secondary school students with local businesses and with Ontario Hydro.
- offers Continuing Education including general interest courses such as "introduction to computers". Adults in the community may apply to local high schools for maturity credits to help with the completion of Grade 12.
- features a curriculum with a broad range of international exchanges, art camps, residential outdoor education, a co-op at a nuclear reactor, and an opportunity for a highly competitive athletic program.
The Bruce-Grey County Roman Catholic Separate School Board
- operates two secondary schools and 11 elementary schools in Grey and Bruce Counties.
- has a yearly student enrollment in Bruce-Grey Separate Schools of 4,639 pupils.
- offers co-operative education programs with local businesses and Ontario Hydro for secondary school students.
- has achieved a 5 to 1 pupil/computer ratio in the system.
features a curriculum which includes religious education and family life, international exchanges, gifted programs and industrial arts programs.
Post Secondary Education
Various Ontario universities and colleges are found within 1 and 2.5 hour drive of the County, offering further education opportunities in all facets of the arts, science, business and humanities.
- Fanshawe College
- Conestoga College
- Georgian College
- Seneca College
- University of Guelph
- University of Toronto
- University of Western Ontario
- University of Waterloo
- Wilfrid Laurier University
Georgian College of Applied Arts and Technology
- operates a satellite campus in the County Town of Walkerton to address the needs of companies and individuals in the Bruce-Grey regions.
- offers the Ontario Basic Skills Program which allows people who do not have Grade 12 to obtain their high school diploma equivalent.
- offers support to agencies such as Human Resource Canada and Social Services who have clients in need of academic upgrading and special project-based skills training such as computer and computerized accounting.
- offers a variety of evening and weekend courses offered through the school of continuous learning such as computer and health sciences.
- offers a corporate training program which provides customized training for regional businesses. For example, the College provides training and consulting in computer systems including installation, networking and training, supervisory skills, and quality control programs including IS0 and Internet.
- the Owen Sound Campus of Georgian College offers full schedule college level education programs only 20 to 40 minutes from most Bruce County communities.
Bruce Nuclear Training Centre
- trains Bruce Power staff in the operation, maintenance and safety aspects of Candu Reactors.
- is recognized internationally as a world class training facility.
- is one of two nuclear training facilities in Ontario.
- is staffed by 150 training experts with support personnel.
has two full-size nuclear power plant simulators for training BNPD control room staff.
- has a safety and fire training complex, offering world class safety and emergency response training.
CAW Family Education Centre
- the Canadian National Automobile, Aerospace, and Agriculture Implement Workers Union of Canada's family education centre, which is recognized as a state-of-the-art facility, is located just south of Port Elgin on Lake Huron.
- operates as a conference, as well as education centre for labour and other organizations who put on training sessions.
accommodates up to 200 people with each bedroom suite including two double beds, snack area, study room, living room and a walk out patio.
- has recreation programs, a whirlpool and sauna with showers and lockers.
- operates a child day care centre equipped with numerous toys, games, a playground with a trained staff offering stimulating programs.
- has eight classrooms, equipped with the latest audio visual teaching aids.