welcome to Bruce County


Rent Supplement

What is Rent Supplement?

The Rent Supplement Program offers eligible individuals rent-geared-to-income (RGI) subsidy while they are living in privately owned buildings. The RGI subsidy is based on 30% of the tenant's gross income according the Regulations of the Social Housing Reform Act. A rent subsidy is paid directly to the landlord to bridge the gap between market rent for the unit and the amount the tenant can pay based on their income.

How does the program work?

Landlords will enter into a Rent Supplement Agreement with Bruce County Housing Corporation. Under this agreement, the Corporation will refer tenants from the Community Housing Registry for rent-geared-to-income housing to the landlord: stipulate the rent to be paid by the tenant to the landlord; and pay a rent supplement to the landlord reflecting the balance of the agreed upon market rent for the unit.

Do I have a choice in determining who the tenant is?

The landlord can approve or deny the applicants that the Corporation refers for the vacancy.

Am I required to sign a Lease with the Tenant?

Yes. The Rent Supplement Program requires the landlord sign a lease with the tenant and supply a copy of the lease to Bruce County Housing Corporation.

Does the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) apply to the tenancy?

Yes. A full landlord and tenant relationship exists between the landlord and the Rent Supplement Program tenant. If a tenant is in arrears the landlord may collect as per the RTA. If a tenant damages a unit the landlord is responsible to attempt to collect from the tenant for any damages, if not able to collect BCHC would negotiate and pay an amount for the cost of damages.

What if I am applying a rent increase?

Landlords participating in the Rent Supplement Program may still apply a yearly rent increase provided they have given ninety days notice as per the Residential Tenancy Act. Landlords should provide a copy of any notification of any rent increases to Bruce County Housing Corporation in addition to the tenant.

What if I sell the property or have someone else manage it for me?

If there should be further change of ownership or management of the building please advise us so that we have appropriate contact information and can make the necessary changes to the Rent Supplement Agreement. If you have an agent or management company that oversees the property we can list them as the direct contact at your request.

What if there is Notice to Terminate Tenancy?

If the tenant or yourself give notice to end the tenancy agreement provide a copy of this to Bruce County Housing Corporation so we are able to make the necessary changes. It is possible that Bruce County Housing Corporation may want to continue our agreement by providing you with potential tenants from the Community Housing Registry applicants for rent supplement if you should wish to continue in the program.

How do I know how much payment I should expect from the tenant?

You will receive notification from this office explaining what portion you should expect form the tenant and what portion you should expect from Bruce County Housing Corporation. The portions remain unchanged unless you receive further notice from Bruce County Housing Corporation in writing.

How do I get more information?

If you have questions or require further information please contact:

Millie Six, Program Assistant
Bruce County Housing Corporation
325 Lambton Street
Kincardine, Ontario N2Z 2Z4
Phone: 519-396-3450 ext 107 or 1-877-396-3450 ext 107
Fax: 519-396-3499
Email: msix@brucecounty.on.ca