Starter Company Plus Initiative and Business Pivot and Adaptation Grant
Starter Company Plus Initiative
What is the Starter Company Plus Initiative?
Access resources and guidance to launch you into entrepreneurial success. Bruce County offers hands-on training, mentorship, and a $5,000 grant to help get you started through the Starter Company Plus program. Training and mentorship components and tie commitments are tailored to your needs.
What if I’m not eligible?
You can still participate in all components of the program but will not have the chance to pitch your plan or receive the grant.
Business Pivot / Adaptation Grant
What is the Business Pivot / Adaptation Grant?
A hands-on training and mentorship program that gives entrepreneurs an up to $5,000 grant, resources, knowledge, and guidance to expand, enhance, or adapt their existing business.
Funding Given to Person
If successful, please note that the grant is awarded to an individual person, not a business, and is taxable income.
How long is the program and how many hours of my time are needed?
The program will last approximately two to three months, with the recommendation to continue to receive training and mentorship for three to six months following. The number of hours required will depend on your own personal and professional requirements, but could approximately include:
- 2-10 hours in training workshops
- 1-4 hours in mentor coach meetings
- 1-4 hours in advisor meetings
- the hours to prepare a lean business / expansion plan and financial statements
Your business cannot apply for funding if registered as a Charity or Not-for-Profit. Franchises are welcome to apply, however those running independent businesses may be given first preference.
Ineligible expenses to claim for either grant
- Safety barriers/measures in response to COVID-19. If wishing to purchase items such as the below, contact us at email@example.com for more information on other programs and supports that can assist you to fund these types of items
- Purchasing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for staff/customers
- Purchasing / installing safety barriers (ex. Plexiglas, floor stickers)
- Rent / mortgage payments
- Ongoing advertising and marketing costs
- Ongoing operational costs (ex. wages current staff, monthly POS fee)
- Items that are also intended for personal use (i.e. new vehicle)
Am I eligible?
If you’re running an existing business* that has been in operation for more than 12 months, you can apply.
*eligible business models include sole proprietorships, partnerships, or corporations. Ineligible models include, registered Charities or Not-for-Profits.
If you have already applied, someone will be in touch with you in the coming weeks. If you missed the opportunity to apply and still have an interest, don't hesitate to complete the form below and we may be able to assist you if additional funds come available.