To be considered for the grant:
The applicant must be the property owner.
The building must be mixed-use (commercial-residential), located within a downtown core or mixed-use zone of a Community Improvement Project Area (CIPA) in one of the following communities: Cargill, Chepstow, Elmwood, Pinkerton, or Walkerton (Brockton), Ferndale, Lion's Head, or Tobermory (Northern Bruce Peninsula), or Formosa, Mildmay, or Teeswater (South Bruce).
The renovations and upgrades must comply with Municipal by-laws and have received appropriate permits and permissions.
Project work must not have started (including purchasing any materials) until the application has been approved.
Properties previously awarded grants are not eligible for additional funding under the same grant category unless:
- The grant was provided more than five years ago; or
- Either the tenant and/or property owner changed since the last grant was provided; or
- The application is clearly for different physical elements of the building/property (as determined by County Staff)
50% of total project cost (excluding taxes) up to $4,000.
Eligible projects may include, but are not limited to:
- Supplies and labour related to the development of a new unit or expansion of existing units
- Supplies and labour related to necessary building code or fire code requirements
- Other approved by Bruce County permanent renovations or upgrades that add a new residential unit or increase the capacity of an existing residential unit
Ineligible projects include, but are not limited to:
- Removable or temporary items (e.g., furniture, decorative items)
- Projects that do not result in a new residential unit or increase the occupancy of an existing residential unit
- New building construction
Community Improvement Plan (CIP) Areas
A Community Improvement Plan (CIP) is a tool that allows a municipality to direct funds and implement policy initiatives toward a specifically defined project area and are intended to encourage rehabilitation initiatives and/or stimulate development.
Eligible Communities with Community Improvement Project Area (CIPA) applicable for this grant currently include: Cargill, Chepstow, Elmwood, Pinkerton, and Walkerton in Brockton, Ferndale, Lion's Head, and Tobermory in Northern Bruce Peninsula, and Formosa, Mildmay, Teeswater in South Bruce.